[MUD-Dev] about MOO
Wed Nov 24 12:07:03 New Zealand Daylight Time 1999
J C Lawrence wrote:
>On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 10:24:30 -0800 (PST)
>bruce <bruce at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> That said, I'm moving on from Cold to something newer.
Others have asked this in private mail as well.
I'm looking to move to a server based on the TOM language,
http://www.gerbil.org/tom/. I'm unhappy with Cold/Cool/MOO for a number of
* Scalability - threading, SMP.
* Extensibility within the language -- no new
datatypes, etc. Why is this not part of the
* Arbitrary nature of DB vs. core boundary
* Lack of integration with native libraries
* Inability to easily convert to native code (can't
afford to interpret everything)
* Persistence is too tied into the language rather
than a library, which means that I can't modify
the persistence scheme(s) easily.
* Lots of other stuff as well.
Miro started this project and I got sucked into it. Neither of us have been
saying a whole lot, as little code exists and designs are barely there and
vapor is rather dull. I'm trying to pick up my participation again and get
things to where it could be used for a system within a couple of months
hopefully. Help and thoughts are always appreciated. License will be open,
like Cold, although probably LGPL for many pieces.
MUD-Dev maillist - MUD-Dev at kanga.nu
More information about the MUD-Dev