[MUD-Dev] Next gen MUD wishlist
bryce at neptune.net
Thu Feb 17 02:46:02 New Zealand Daylight Time 2000
I'd like to get input on creating a "wishlist" for a kind of
"next generation online RPG". What would you want to see in
a brand new codebase?
I've been speculating pretty intently about online rpg's for
a year now, and having been lurking on this list a bit I'm
finally eager to try to do something about this desire. ;-)
I think it'd be a big job to do something like what I've heard
people say, but that don't bother me too much. I started such
a list back in the early nineties for a Civilization sequel,
which was eventually picked up and done by Microprose. (No,
no name in the credits for me, sadly, but the game was pretty
cool. Do a search on "bryce harrington civII" to see the proof.)
I'm pretty sure that once the requirements have been hammered out,
me and some of my co-workers could bang out a design that'd do
the job. Coding and playtesting it might take some time but is
also 90% of the fun. ;-)
Anyway, some wishes I've seen (or thought of) so far:
Licensing / General
* Freely available codebase
* Ability to use codebase commercially, but is more hobby-oriented
* Allows/encourages sense-of-community (the key to success)
* Allows/encourages player-world-building (the key to uniqueness)
* Allows/encourages community to establish and enforce its own
rules (the key to avoiding burdensome administration)
* Should support on the order of 100-500 simultaneous players
(Is this a realistic number?)
* Should permit scripting in easy to learn, existing language
* (Desired) should allow use of any arbitrary scripting language(?)
* Should abstract rules in a way that allow modular replacement
* Should be genre-generic, and even game-generic, at the core
* A stock world/rules should be provided, as a basis to work from.
Further, it should include all graphics, music, and text media to
characterize that world.
* In general, the server should be easily customizable by the admin,
so that new wannabe admins can take a stock world and immediately
and quickly turn it into something interesting and unique.
* As much as possible, customization and editing should be doable
while the game is still running.
* Allows "building" and "inventing"
* Free market, player-driven economic system
* Allows for creation/optimization of sophisticated AI's
* Dialectization - Modify player speech to suit the race/nationality
they're playing (orcs speak orcish, etc.)
* Coordinate-based rather than room-based.
* Able to make large scale world changes (meteorites, massive weather
? Server distribution? Should it be possible to link several
different people's servers together?
* Should support graphics (to compete with UO/EQ/etc.)
* Cross platform playable
* Don't forget about importance of text and text interfaces
* Can't trust client (treat it as already hacked; it _will_ be)
* Configurable dynamic music (music changes to suit the scene,
and can download new tunes between play sessions as they become
* Semi-dynamic graphics: can upload your character portrait or
animation to a central server, for others to (auto?)download.
(This encourages the players to generate the hardest artwork -
character animations - themselves.)
Note that at this point I don't care about technical issues like the
graphics engine or database system; those will flow out of the design
that will be produced later.
This is just a start, but hopefully it'll grow into something useful.
Please send me your thoughts/ideas/requests, and I'll incorporate them
and repost for further comments.
MUD-Dev maillist - MUD-Dev at kanga.nu
More information about the MUD-Dev