[MUD-Dev] Role-Playing Games Are Not Dead
talien at toast.net
Sun Nov 18 01:33:57 New Zealand Daylight Time 2001
Ryan Dancey (Wizards of the Coast VP, Dungeons & Dragons brand
manager) was so kind as to provide some statistics
* He estimates that Baldur's Gate sold to 1 million individuals.
* He estimates that EverQuest's aggregated monthly players is
* He guesses that total Ultima Online, DAoC, and other online
games amounts to 400,000 to 500,000 that "would enjoy a
subscription-based RPG experience."
* Assuming every statistic for those online games are unique
individuals, he estimates a total online gaming populace of 1.4
to 1.5 million.
* WOTC's market research found "more than 2 million people,
between the ages of 12 and 35 in the US playing at least one
tabletop RPG monthly, and nearly 5 million who reported playing
at least once sometime in the past year."
The claim: there are more tabletop RPGers than online gamers. Note
that he did not say this means the role-playing game industry makes
more money than CRPGs.
The entire study is online here:
Mike "Talien" Tresca
MUD-Dev mailing list
MUD-Dev at kanga.nu
More information about the MUD-Dev