[MUD-Dev] Exploits and hacks in MMORPGs
dstgasey at webhiker.dk
Sun Jan 11 16:04:27 New Zealand Daylight Time 2004
From: "Björn Morén" <bjoernen at hotmail.com>
> What kind of exploits and hacks can ruin a MMORPG? Please add to
> my list below.
Since you said the server is secure, I assumer there is no
possibility of dupe bugs, which is an annoyingly bad bug to
have. (And I think all major MMOG's have had it at some time)
Anyways, the second you open up for BOTs you also get :
- Skewed market from massive BOT farming of materials.
- BOT trade skillers, again producing massive amounts of good.
- In game money becomes worthless at some point, ruins it for
- BOTs that can grab loot from corpses other people killed, faster
than they can.
.... from across the zone. *cough* EverQuest *cough*
Once one player with enough BOTs have been going on for a while,
he/she will be in control of so large amounts of resources that even
if the BOTs were removed he/she will be trouble unless catched and
Other problems :
- Login / Password sniffer viruses -- which leads to account
- Exploiting fools by passing themselves off as customer service,
thus getting the fools Login / Password
- DOS attacks.
- IP hi-jack attempts (those are very rare and usually caught by
Jens L. Nielsen
(aka. Sheela Caur'Lir)
MUD-Dev mailing list
MUD-Dev at kanga.nu
More information about the MUD-Dev