Advanced Topic - Doing it differently.

Hiddukel hiddukel at rebeldev.net
Tue Apr 5 09:39:18 New Zealand Standard Time 2005

Another mud client won't stop botting, the simple truth is you either have
to send commands as plain text or encrypt them, but the encryption is void
if as Michael said your decryption is open source.  Someone could simply
develop another client to run in the background and control your client with
keystrokes, grabbing output from the mud like a packet sniffer and
decrypting it if need be to react to it.  The bottom line is, the more you
take off the server the more you are opening up for hackers, imagine if
everyone could alter their own area files, even something as simple as
giving a specific mob 1 hp so that one hit kills it?  This can be done if
the area is stored and hence used on the client side such as this.  Sure you
could have the server detect alterations such as this, but then you aren't
saving any bandwidth so what is the point?  I also think you may have missed
the mark a bit on why so many muds are moving toward sql database backends.
Sql database backends add so much more flexibility than a flat file system.
For instance try to write a php script that reads your log files (we all use
multiple log files these days right?), searches for a specific word and
dumps only the entries containing that word to the browser.  In essence you
could make your entire game have an HTML frontend which as we all know in
today's times that a browser is a lot more accessible than even a standard
telnet client for most people.  I myself use an sql database system because
my builders find it much easier to build using a web form than using OLC on
the mud and all for the low low price of nothing.  File access is expensive
in terms of resources but no less or more so than database access is.  So
while your idea of why people choose to use sql backends is a valid one,
it's not the only one.