Advanced Topic - Doing it differently.

Hiddukel hiddukel at rebeldev.net
Fri Apr 8 13:32:31 New Zealand Standard Time 2005


I never claimed to have 30,000 pfiles, I said thousands, which 2,000 does
qualify as.  I don't advertise my mud because I honestly don't care if
anyone plays it or not.  I don't post code because quite frankly that is not
helping anyone, but if anyone had bothered to ask me personally for some
specific code I'd have given it.  I'll be glad to fax you a copy of my
bachelors if you really need the proof.  I can back up my claims of 400,000+
rooms but at this point I see no need to prove anything to you, if you think
it can't be done despite 3 different people on this list alone telling you
that it can then so be it.  I never said that you don't know what SQL and
MYSQL can be used for either, but if you think a database can't hold more
than 400,000 records then you really do need to do more research, I have
databases (not pertaining to a mud) that have well over a million records in
them, I wouldn't recommend having this many records, but you certainly can.
As for releasing snippets or codebases, I'll pretend you've worked in the
field before and know what it means to work for a company that owns the
copyright on your code via contract.  I'm sure I could release snippets and
probably even my entire codebase without having the lawyers show up at my
door, but I just don't care to have the recognition as you seem to.  At no
time in this thread was a showboating, I simply do not do that, the only
reason I even brought up my qualifications was because you seemed to include
yours in almost every post.  If you were not trying to show off, and still
aren't then please excuse this, but I'm quite sure I'm not the only one on
this list that has noticed this and taken it as such.

I really am glad that you've accomplished so much in the mud community, but
the comment that started this all was a slap in the face to a very large
portion of the mud community that is now implementing sql databases even
though you don't agree with their use.  I'm sorry we aren't all going to bow
down and just accept your word as the gospel according to Christopher but
not even Linus Torvalds enjoys that luxury so get used to it.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/IT/S/O d-(+) s++:-- a- c+++$>++++ UBLS++++>$
P++(+++) L++++>$ E---- W+++>$ N o? K? w++++>$ O-
M-- !V PS+ PE(++) Y+ PGP++ t++@ 5 X++ R* tv++(+)
b- DI D--- G>++ e++>+++ h r++>+++ y**>$
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Christopher Bunting [mailto:cbunting99 at gmail.com]
> Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 6:10 PM
> To: Hiddukel
> Cc: rom at rom.org
> Subject: Re: Advanced Topic - Doing it differently.
> 
> Hello,
> Know something Hiddukel.. I have only done what many others have
> done.. I converted rom to another language.. Whoopee.. It's been done
> long before me.. You've replied many times quoting different things
> and you know what? Maybe I read those wrong and tried to reply with
> some example code to show how something can be done.. Forgive me if I
> misinterpreted your replies..
> 
> But since you pointed me out..
> 
> #1: My name is and has always been the same, Chris Bunting.. I can be
> found in the rom archive over many years.. I don't claim to be the
> perfect coder or the best but I have tried not only to learn but to
> help others too..Heh, I even submit code.... I was one of the first to
> start converting various rom codebases to Windows using MSVC++ as
> found here, http://startermud.sourceforge.net
> 
> I have also released various codebases being the first to do what many
> new coders couldn't.. Like adding olc to the custom tartarus and
> anatolia codebase many years ago.. It's listed on mudmagic.com along
> with the rest..
> 
> >>.  I understand that you somehow need validation of your coding skills
> 
> I don't need validation of my coding skills.. I'm not perfect, but I
> do at least have proof that what I may claim to do has really been
> done.. As I said, I've released various rom derivs..
> 
> #2: I have not made any claims that I was not able to show code for,
> either via examples or anything else. I have nothing at all to hide..
> At best, I've spent allot of time trying to help those new to coding
> trying to do everything that they could not or were not able to do.
> 
> #3: The rom list if proof.. You claim to have a BS, mention 400,000
> rooms in a db, 30K pfiles and you think that I don't know just what
> SQL and MYSQL can and can't be used for? Maybe you should read the
> forum at mudmagic.com on why exactly it's not possible to load rooms
> or areas into a mud. Unless you seem to know something that many of
> the rest of us don't.. If so, Please submit some code for once. I'm
> sure many would like to know.
> 
> #4: I looked through all posts by you in the rom archives.. I've not
> seen one time where you have posted any code whatsoever.. With a BS in
> programming or whatever you have, I'd surely think you can at least
> write and post some code.
> 
> #5: You claim to have such a big mud, but have shown no proof that you
> can even code at all. So where is the IP/Port to this huge mud?
> Surely, a mud the size of yours would be listed on the mud connector
> and would have some players with 30K pfiles..
> 
> >>need validation of your coding skills, I however do not!
> 
> I'd like to see how you code. But... there isn't a rom thread where
> you've submitted any.. I wrote player ran shop code, was just an idea
> that weas futher coded and went into smaug, but I did have allot of
> working code myself.. it too is on mudmagic.com.. What have you
> written?
> 
> >>I am going to ignore all other posts on this thread and am seriously
> debating whether to ignore all posts from you period.
> 
> Thats funny.. I started this thread.. I don't recall asking or forcing
> you to reply to it.
> 
> Chris


-- 
ROM mailing list
ROM at rom.org
Unsubscribe here ->>> http://www.rom.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rom


More information about the MUD-Dev mailing list