Advanced Topic - Doing it differently.

Hiddukel hiddukel at rebeldev.net
Fri Apr 8 14:31:27 New Zealand Standard Time 2005

You are very na=EFve if you think I've only ever worked on one mud, as a
matter of fact summersflame is not even defunct, it simply changed =
addresses
and was not updated on the mud lists, it was also not intended to be as =
big
as the mud it was spawned from and summersflame spawned several other =
muds
itself.  I digress though, dig into my history all you want, eventually =
you
may even find the project I'm talking about.  Just one other thing =
though
Summersflame currently has 144,533 rooms, it was listed as 27,000 =
because
the rest was wilderness and should not be counted as unique rooms.  You =
are
welcome to look at the old maps, over a year old now at
http://www.summersflame.net  You can also read my (Hiddukel) profile =
there
even though it is that old as well.  Log on to summersflame even, it is =
at
summersflame.rebeldev.net port 4000, explore the place, it is pretty =
dead
though, really only left up for a choice few players that missed it when =
it
was down for a while and changed hosts.  That really is my brother's
(paladine) mud though, and since he had a baby he hasn't done anything =
with
it.

In any case, nice try, the date is also wrong, the January 17th might be
right *shrug* but it would be 2004, not 2003.

If you still insist my claims are far fetched I pose this question to =
you.
Have you ever seen the gridmaker snippet?  I didn't write it, but I did =
code
the idea quite a bit before that snippet was released.  I digress =
though, if
you want to know how a mud with 400,000 rooms runs, take that gridmaker
snippet, or write your own, or better yet, since I never post any code, =
here
you go:

for (vnum =3D pArea->min_vnum; vnum <=3D pArea->max_vnum; vnum++)
{
	if ((pRoom =3D get_room_index(vnum)))
      {
      	delete_room(pRoom);
      }
}

for (vnum =3D pArea->min_vnum; vnum <=3D pArea->max_vnum; vnum++)
{
	create_room(vnum);
}

for (vnum =3D pArea->min_vnum; vnum <=3D pArea->max_vnum; vnum++)
{
    /* set up exits for every room */
    n =3D vnum - pArea->width;
    s =3D vnum + pArea->width;
    e =3D vnum + 1;
    w =3D vnum - 1;

    /* north border */
    if ((vnum >=3D pArea->min_vnum) && (vnum < pArea->min_vnum +
pArea->width))
    {
        n =3D 0;
    }

    /* south border */
    if ((vnum > (pArea->max_vnum - pArea->width) && (vnum <=3D
pArea->max_vnum))
    {
        s =3D 0;
    }

    /* east border */
    if ((vnum - pArea->min_vnum + 1) % (pArea->width) =3D=3D 0)
    {
        e =3D 0;
    }

    /* west border */
    if ((vnum - pArea->min_vnum + 1) % (pArea->width) =3D=3D 1)
    {
        w =3D 0;
    }

    if ((pRoom =3D get_room_index(vnum)))
    {
        /* set default sector type */
        pRoom->sector_type =3D pArea->sector;

        /* north link */
        if (n > 0)
        {
            if ((toRoom =3D get_room_index(n)))
            {
                pRoom->exit[DIR_NORTH] =3D new_exit();
                pRoom->exit[DIR_NORTH]->u1.to_room =3D toRoom;
                pRoom->exit[DIR_NORTH]->orig_door =3D DIR_NORTH;
            }
        }

        /* south link */
        if (s > 0)
        {
            if ((toRoom =3D get_room_index(s)))
            {
                pRoom->exit[DIR_SOUTH] =3D new_exit();
                pRoom->exit[DIR_SOUTH]->u1.to_room =3D toRoom;
                pRoom->exit[DIR_SOUTH]->orig_door =3D DIR_SOUTH;
            }
        }
                        =20
        /* east link */
        if (e > 0)
        {
            if ((toRoom =3D get_room_index(e)))
            {
                pRoom->exit[DIR_EAST] =3D new_exit();
                pRoom->exit[DIR_EAST]->u1.to_room =3D toRoom;
                pRoom->exit[DIR_EAST]->orig_door =3D DIR_EAST;
            }
        }
                        =20
        /* west link */
        if (w > 0)
        {
            if ((toRoom =3D get_room_index(w)))
            {
                pRoom->exit[DIR_WEST] =3D new_exit();
                pRoom->exit[DIR_WEST]->u1.to_room =3D toRoom;
                pRoom->exit[DIR_WEST]->orig_door =3D DIR_WEST;
            }
        }
    }
}

This is exactly how it appeared in summersflame over 3 years ago, yes it =
can
and has been written a lot cleaner since then.  Anywho, use that to make
yourself a nice big grid, all in one area if you want, then save it and
reboot your mud and let it load it ... stock rom with long vnums and =
minor
modifications will load it, it will take it a while, but it'll load the =
area
provided your machine has enough memory.  Then congratulations, you've =
taken
the first step to have a mud with 400,000+ rooms.

Chad already commented on the geek code block, but you'll notice that I =
just
added mine the other day, oddly enough after I saw Chad's.  If you'd =
looked
up the meaning of the code you'd have realized that a lot of things will =
be
the same, especially in a small sampling of people such as this, but =
they
are not identical.  IE: Chad enjoys literature and reads a fair amount =
of
books, I however do not.  Chad is tall and average build, I am tall and
skinny, we both use C at work and aspire to know more C, we are both =
unix
system admins, he uses it at work though and I only aspire to.....
So no, I don't think everyone is just plain stupid, but that comment =
sure
was.